Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Wasting Christmas Break




Won't mention any names, but somebody who writes on this bLoG has been wasting quite a bit of the Christmas break watching movies. It is a terrible way to squander time, this person really should be doing something productive. But anyway...to cut the nonsense, this person is me, and here is my movie reviews, in the order that I watched them.

Project Grizzly
My first exposure to this interesting Canadian Grizzly fanatic was a few years back while watching Real TV. They had a clip of a man in Canada who had this strange thing about getting close to a Grizzly bear, so he built a bear-proof suit. An enormous kevlar and steel bear-proof suit. And to test the suit, he put in on and subjected himself to things that would normally kill a man. He was hit by a car, thrown over a cliff, crushed by a falling tree, and beaten by a gang of bikers armed with baseball bats and sledghammers. Project grizzly is about this mans journey.
Well, journey is rather the exageration, seeing as they never really stray far from thier northern Ontario home. But MAN, these guys are Crazy and Canadian and Funny because they are trying to be serious. The focus of the film is a bit vulgar and quite the showman. I'd recommend it to anybody who enjoyed Trekkies, the documentary about Star Trek Fanatics. Same concept, showcase the self made freakshow.
Incidentally, my brother in law pointed out that the Simpsons did a full parody of this mand and his bear suit, in episode #318, The Fat and the Furriest

The Island
I liked it. I recently wrote a (bad) paper about embryonic stem cell research and cloning, and The Island deals with this head on. The concept is great for sci-fi, just the kind of thing that opens up the way to some really stimulating questions. It also opens up the way to a whole lot of Hollywood action, and with a high-budget movie, its that action part that usually wins out and comes across stronger. Cool action flick, pretty stylized. They could have done more with it so far as the story goes, but all in all they did pretty well.

The Fantastic Four
It was okay. Movies like this will never make my favorites list, not because they don't accomplish what they set out to do, but because what they set out to do isn't really my thing. Fantastic Four was a pretty run-o-the-mill superhero flick. Not that I don't like superhero movies, I do, its just that ther was nothing to set this one apart. Pretty predictable, but if you want 106 minutes of easy entertainment...

4 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger Landon said...

So you would recommend that I see The Island? I was mulling over that one. It got some bad reviews.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Joe and Katie said...

I have to join in and ask the same as Landon. I have wanted to see the island based on the previews, but then the reviews turned me off. Would I like it?

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger austinmcraig said...

Its not brilliant, but its smart enough and I liked it. Its a cool action flick. Do you like cool actin flicks?

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Landon said...

I rented it... it is pretty sweet. I was actually pretty impressed with the "technology" they used in the movie. It was quite believeable the way they pulled it off.

Plus... Scarlett Johanson....mmmmmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home